Tuesday, March 28, 2006

exploding head

i have been trying all day to write my research proposal and so far I have written the following:

Performing Virtual Space
Performativity of non-physical architecture
-journey, domestic space (public/private - window, door etc.), language (text), imagery, culture


But none the less, I do feel like I am getting somewhere. What with the crit and chatting to drawing students about my work, trying to explain my model (the bits of which are stuck on my wall at home) to ed's dad (my new landlord - owner of said wall) and now writing this proposal, I have found it rather necessary recently to be able to talk concisely about my ideas. This has forced me to narrow it down a bit, or at least to identify which bits are the most interesting. I have noticed how my work often goes in cycles, which i have always enjoyed because it means i can keep adding to it, improving it. Anyway, I seem to have come back to this thing about performativity, but in terms of this virtual space rather than real space. So I'm going to frame my research proposal in the same way in September (well similar), i.e. examining the performative impact of virtual space through the zones of language, domesticity etc (as listed above).

I am still battling with this architecture thing, which must be very dull for you all, but am starting to come to some conclusions about that too. I think I have spent far too much time worrying about it being a safety blanket, whilst at the same time feeling rather lost as I didnt feel i had a 'medium' through which to express my ideas. I realise now that although architecture, as a career, is definitely a safety blanket, I always felt like I could take it into more interesting places outside of the confines of that career. So whilst I don't want to restrict myself to just doing architectural stuff, I am not going to avoid it either. This makes me feel much happier, because I was feeling like the performance element of my work was really forced and unnatural, but by taking this approach I think (hope!) it will just happen.

No comments: