Sunday, November 27, 2005

de la warr

diana and i went down to bexhill-on-sea to see the performance stuff that was on this weekend - it was great. There was an exhibition as well as a series of live performances and the standard was so high, we were amazed that they had managed to produce such a quantity of really good things without having to be in london. some of it was site-specific, which was really intersting both for my own work and the collaborative project. Check out what was on: http://www.dlwp.com, the daria martin piece was beautiful, a film in the building itself, referencing the history of performance in the pavilion as well as seaside industry and looking at a mother/daughter relationship. it was focussed on a young girl who abseils inside the spiral staircase of the pavilion. I can't really describe it but it was wonderful. There was also a great performance created by Geraldine Pilgrim (who worked with the BA students at Wimbledon) with loads of little scenes around the building based on ghosts that supposedly haunt it (check out diana's blog for more details as i think she will have loads to say about this one). Geraldine Pilgrim is doing another performance piece in Soho in December which we should all check out. There was loads of other great stuff, but if need my dinner now so am going to move on to my thoughts on the collaborative project so i can wrap this up and get cooking...

I think we are really getting somewhere with the collaborative piece, i am quite excited about it now. I am reading the text (Hedda Gabler) and looking forward to see what karen is going to do with it. I am still quite interested in the gender roles within the text and the possibility of subverting these through careful casting. I am really glad that the routes to the main venue were interesting to everyone, I thing they all have great possibilities. I am also really excited about the main space at T-Bar, they are being so unbelievably accomodating - we are so lucky! I am going to work on creating this teaser image tomorrow to get people interested. I loved the woodgrain graphic of the boy on the bicycle with the chicken that they had at the bar and am thinking about how we could make some kind of visual (graphical) link. The stuff at De La Warr today has got me thinking hard about the spaces we are using, hopefully i will have lots to say on the matter when we next meet...

No comments: