Tuesday, November 08, 2005

aias workshop - mica

i don't know where to start, what an amazing week! I hope that some of the other workshop participants will be checking out my blog too, but for the sake of those who weren't there, here's a brief summary:
after a rather traumatic flight (well they are all traumatic for me!) I arrived just in time for the free food at the international students reception. There were students in the workshop from all over the world - America, Korea, Portugal, the Netherlands and England. We launched stright in the following morning when Annet, the workshop leader, took us over to the exhibition space in a converted station building. We spent the rest of the week creating work for an exhibition on the friday evening, on the theme of 'The Other'.
I was working mainly with Danielle Brans from AKI in the Netherlands and Abbi Jacobsen from MICA (the host school). We started out using some mapping diagrams that we had each done as a starting point for a series of performances. We mapped out various ideas in spatial terms using yellow string, filming as we went and experimenting with different view points and locations. By Thursday afternoon, we felt that whilst we'd explored some interesting ideas, something was missing to pull it all together, so we went out in search of something physical to ground the project. I had in mind a piece of furniture or something domestic, but instead we found this amazing box, perhaps a keyboard case, but slightly sinister. So, with renewed enthusiasm we began our adventure with the box. We tried to fit Danielle in it, we made a hole in the side and filmed out of it, we took it for coffee and finally it accompanied Danielle and I to a party. Our hosts, very obligingly, put on a great show - dancing in the box! Suddenly we had what we had been looking for, the film of the dance routine was projected into the arches above the exhibition space and the box had pride of place just inside the entrance and with a few minor additions (doug's ipod and some speakers) it became the source of music for the evening. Sadly ideas of a party in the dome (see photos) didn't quite materialise - maybe next time!
I have just re-read this post and it sounds rather formal and boring - that's just the effect of the english weather and the jetlag - in reality I am thrilled to have been part of the workshop, it was such an exciting week and I feel I have gained so much from it - I can't wait to get on with my own work again. I hope to stay in touch with all the other workshoppers, I would love it if we could find some way to work together again, as I thought everyone was fantastic!

No comments: