Thursday, November 10, 2005

busy busy busy

was planning to go to spain to sort out my little brother's dissertation this weekend, but had to cancel in the end because i just have so much to do myself!

i went over to richmond drama school yesterday (where i work as a designer) to chat with the director, david whitworth, about the next production i will be working on - under milkwood by dylan thomas. I'm quite excited about this one, although i feel more and more how limiting it is working a) in traditional theatre and b) with students and a student-scale budget. Nevertheless there is still plenty of scope to explore some of my own interests through this set-up. I have asked Kirstie to work with me and we are looking at using projections and costumes made of paper (kirstie's speciality). We will be keeping it pretty simple - for my sake as well as theirs - but i think it could be pretty effective - especially as the costumes should pick up the projections nicely. its a beautiful text, it's really just 2 hours of poetry and creates this great dreamscape with ghosts and sleepwalking and cows! I almost feel like we shouldn't intervene too much. It was written as a radio play so it's all in the text. hmmm...

college work is going fine, am writing this as i capture my interviews for the collaborative project so i can edit the soundscape. I was a bit apprehensive when i first listened to them as i felt that the actor who was my interviewer had been a bit too subtle in his imitations of the subjects and i wasn't sure if anyone would be able to notice it. However, looking at it again, I think its really interesting how he responds to each subject differently before he even begins to imitate them. So i'm thinking of editing it so that these comparisons are clearer.

have to go and do my 'real' job tomorrow, just to bring me back down to earth - its about time for VAT receipts, whoopee doo.

No comments: