Tuesday, January 10, 2006

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Hope you all had a great Christmas and New Year. I spent Christmas with my parents and my little brother, Laurie. It was, as usual, not half as relaxing as it should be. My mum planned a series of vast feasts starting on Christmas Eve and running through until the day after boxing day. She then proceeded to catch the mother of all colds and i had to do all the cooking... I needed a week to recover after all of that. Fortunately, she had a miraculous recovery the day before New Years Eve, so I escaped to London and after a lovely New Years Eve with a few friends in our flat, Ed and I spent the whole of the next week watching films and eating chocolate whilst tucked up under a duvet on the sofa.

I am so glad to have had a break though, I really feel ready to take on the new term now. I had a chance to really get my teeth into my individual project research. I have been reading all about computer arts and the internet as a virtual space for performance. I read 'Internet Art' by Rachel Greene as a kind of introduction and I am about halfway through 'Virtual Theatres' by Gabriella Giannachi, which is fascinating - I would recommend it to anyone. It is all making me think really hard about how I define theatre and what the difference is between theatre and performance art. So far, and this is something that often happens to me, the more I find out about current and recent practice in this field, the longer my list of what I don't like/want to do. I am still struggling to find what I do want to do. I feel like the research is about a finished/end product, whereas I am practically right at the beginning and am feeling a bit nervous about what happens in the middle. I know that I have to just get started and do something... anything really, I just have to start doing. But I always find this bit rather terrifying.

OK, see you all soon

No comments: