Sunday, October 23, 2005

frieze art fair etc.
I have recovered from my over-exposure to beautiful people at last. I was a bit scared to leave the house for the first couple of days, but a trip to Asda in Clapham (seriously lacking in beautiful people) was equivalent to a week in the Priory and I am now back to my old self again.
It was all a bit bewildering wasn't it? I have never seen art displayed (and consumed) in such a soulless way. I think that is probably how I would describe most of what I saw in there - soulless. I think that is why I was drawn to the pieces with some kind of narrative, in that environment I felt like they were easier to get lost in. This is first for me - the shiny, beautiful objects are normally the ones that draw me in, I usually hate anything home-made looking. Still haven't quite digested the experience fully, but the pieces that stand out for me are the storyboard piece called "Estate", which created a narrative about the lives of the people behind a series of closed curtains and a little sculpture about a piece of bone the artist had found by the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin.

My research topic is beginning to get clearer since following lengthy discussions with Doug, I am focussing on the domestic interior as a starting point and plan to try out a few ideas over the next couple of months, so watch this space...

No comments: